Dear NFTY SOCAL,
In order to move forward with our transportation plan for the weekend, we need to collect some information about each of our participants. Please take a couple of minutes to fill out this very short Wufoo form to let us know your plans for the weekend. We ask that you fill this out ASAP, and within the next 24 hours so we can move as quickly as possible on adjusting the logistics of this event.
Additionally, please feel free to use this facebook event page to communicate with other families to arrange carpools, etc.
We appreciate those who have sent some questions, here are a few answers to those FAQs:
Is this still a sleepover event?
In order to create the highest quality experience for our teen community, we are not able to host or arrange for sleepovers. You are welcome to arrange your own sleepovers with friends/family, and many of our LA families have offered to host. However NFTY SOCAL will not be arranging these nor are we able to be responsible for any event outside of the 9am-9pm event at Temple Beth Hillel on Saturday, November 17th . We invited you to use the facebook event page to reach out to families who may be able to host.
Is there transportation for Friday night?
We will not be providing transportation to and from Temple Beth Hillel for Friday night services. This is an options experience that Beth Hillel has generously offered as one more way for our teens to get to spend time together this weekend.
What are the correct dates?
Our apologies for listing the wrong date in our previous email. Below, you will see the corrected dates (Friday optional Shabbat services on November 16th and SJK day-long experience on Saturday, November 17th ). Our team is moving a mile a minute to create an incredible experience for our teens this weekend, we appreciate your understanding and support!
What can I do to help?
The outpouring of support has been an incredible showing of how tight and holy this community truly is. Here are a few things we have identified at this time that can help us as well as the greater community.
- If you might be able to host a teen from outside of LA so they can attend Friday night Shabbat services, please use the facebook event page to reach out to other families who might be looking for this. NFTY SOCAL will not be responsible for this experience or process, but we appreciate those who have reached out to us about this already.
- We will be collecting gift cards for victims of the Woolsey Fire at SJK on Saturday. Target, Ralphs, Trader Joe’s, and Visa gift cards have been identified as the most helpful.
- If you have any other questions about how you can best help us as we navigate this event and future events, please feel free to be in contact email@example.com We are working to communicate back as quickly as possible, and we appreciate your patience as we prioritize making SJK the best it can be.
Thank you all for your support of NFTY SOCAL and your teens.
NFTY SOCAL Regional Advisor
Below is our previous communication, updated with correct dates…
This has been an incredibly difficult week for everyone. As many of you have already heard, the Southern California fires have damaged three of our sister camps, including JCA Shalom. JCA Shalom is home to many of our NFTY SOCAL retreats including our upcoming Social Justice Kallah. Please see the update below from Camp Newman if you have not already read it.
While our hearts are full of grief and compassion for those who have been impacted, now more than ever we feel the importance of bringing our community together—to comfort one another, to reaffirm our connections to each other, and to channel our sadness into action.
We are happy to inform you that we will still be presenting our upcoming event, Social Justice Kallah, though in a new location and new format. Please see below for all the details!
LOCATION: Temple Beth Hillel has graciously opened their doors to host Social Justice Kallah all day on Saturday. 12326 Riverside Drive, Valley Village, CA 91607, (818) 763-9148.
- Friday, November 16 (optional): While this is not a NFTY SOCAL-hosted event, all teens in the area are welcome to join Lily Gottlieb and our regional board at TBH’s Shabbat service at 7pm in the Bauman Sanctuary with an oneg to follow.
- Saturday, November 17: Social Justice Kallah will take place from 9am to 9pm. The program will include a mix of fun NFTY-style programming, Shabbat services, social justice activities and action, and a festive evening event. Our services will give us an opportunity to reflect on the week’s events and to be together as a NFTY SOCAL community.
CANCELLATIONS & LATE REGISTRATIONS
While we are grateful to be together for these events, we certainly understand if you need to cancel. Please submit your cancellation in writing as soon as possible (so we can adjust our plans) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, if you are now able to join us due to the change in schedule, we would also be happy to make room for you! Please contact email@example.com to let us know.
BUSES & TRANSPORTATION
We will still be offering bus transportation, and are busy working out the details now. We will send you an updated bus and drive/drop-off schedule shortly!
Please read event updates posted to this page. If you have any questions please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Early Bird: $260
Late Registration: $310
This event is open to any Jewish teen in grades 9 to 12.